Re: (erielack) Boonton Line freight trains-analysis

The cut off was used orginally to move coal into the
Met-Ed plant at Portland. Trains came up from
Allentown to Port Morris, around the West Leg of the
wye to Mount Minsi and then backed down into Portland
Yard. Empty trains returned the same way.
Later ConRail decided to upgrade the B&P to run the
trains on a more direct route to Portland.
In the early days of ConRail their was so much
trackwork going and plans still where not really
finalized concerning the EL. It dropped into ConRail
unwanted at the very last minute. As it remember it
ties where put in all the way to Scranton. I think it
was the eastbound main the go the ties, IIRC. What
ever main the DL runs on today, would be the one in
the best shape that got the ties.
Bob Stafford