RE: (erielack) Port Morris Intermodal?

Paul,

Once again, I think if NJ Transit is strong-armed they'll raise the
catenary.  But such a project would probably come with a quid pro quo to
add either double track on the Boonton Line or extra sidings, at the very
least.  However, I think the bigger issue with double-stacks would be the
clearance afforded by overhead bridges, or lack thereof.  I don't know how
many bridges between Dover and Wayne would restrict double-stacks, but that
could cost some real money.  Also, running into Wayne onto the Totowa
Industrial Spur (old DL&W Boonton Line) would require a direct connection
that no longer exists.  Not an overwhelming obstacle, but it would add a
few bucks to the overall cost.

Chuck

                      "Tupaczewski, Paul
                      R (Paul)"
                      <paultup_@_lucent.com To:     "'STEVEZ10@aol.com'" <STEVEZ10@aol.com>
                      >                   cc:     erielack_@_lists.railfan.net
                      Sent by:            Subject:
                      erielack-owner_@_list         RE: (erielack) Port Morris Intermodal?
                      s.elhts.org

                      10/05/2005 09:43 AM
                      Please respond to
                      "Tupaczewski, Paul
                      R (Paul)"

> Wayne, NJ is a good intermodel spot, but didn't we all
> mention that there
> were would be clearance issues on NJT in and around Denville
> and Dover?? I guess
> they would have to raise the catenary......Also the current
> speed restriction
> through Dover for freights is 15 mph....

If you're running piggyback service (think EL!), the catenary's not an
issue. And there is NO WAY that NJT is going to raise catenary height for
double-stacks...

Best bet is a piggyback or construction waste transfer facility (or for
that matter, bulk unloading - covered hoppers or corn syrup tankers - I'm
surprised NS hasn't jumped on that business, the NYS&W seems to be doing a
pretty good job with all of these commodities today)