RE: (erielack) IHB-7 - one more thing

- --- "Tupaczewski, Paul R (Paul)" <paultup_@_lucent.com> wrote:
> I don't think that there was a "plan" involved with explicitly allowing
> the EL to use the units. I thought this was just a "we'll sneak them out
> for the weekend and get them back in time for Monday morning rush"
> thing. Bill Herkner could probably explain the real facts about this -
> Bill?

There was no need for six-axle 3600 hp units OTHER than weekend freight
service.  The state did agree with this use before buying the U-boats for
EL.  Otherwise NJ would have gotten a different, but equally unique
locomtive model: U30BH.

> The Main Line/Bergen County didn't run on weekends?

Not then.  Fall foliage trips were run from Hoboken to Port Jervis
including numerous photo runby stops.  During the NRHS 'Garden State in
88' Convention, I told a number of our riders to make sure they were back
before departure time, as the next train wouldn't be until Monday morning
and it wouldn't honor our tickets.  By the time of the first C&O 614 trips
in 1996, New York MTA was supporting two round trips on Saturdays and on
Sundays, with only one or two stops in NJ.

> Oh, and the Boonton Line trains only ran on Saturday, not Sunday.

Wasn't sure about that.

> > Freight use of the U-boats ended soon after they came back VERY late
> > one Monday morning and there was a mad scramble for power to run
> > the morning Comet trains.
>
> That is during the EL years. After CR, they struck some sort of
> agreement with the NJDOT to use these units, and they did appear quite
> often in freight service from 1976 to 1978 or thereabouts.

Photos?  I don't think NJDoT would have gone for a second try; once bitten
- - twice shy as they say.

Gary R. Kazin
DL&W Milepost R35.7
Rockaway, New Jersey