(erielack) Gray boxcars

Gray with maroon lettering was the initial merger boxcar scheme, and
Meadville painted hundreds of cars this way in 1960-1962. This included
single door 40' (one appears on the front cover of the EL Color Guide), and
single and dbl door 50' cars (don't know which one MDC is offering). Details
on all the car series are available in the Color Guide. By late 1962, it
became evident that the gray paint wasn't wearing well, so it was dropped in
favor of bcr. Since EL didn't acquire any new rolling stock until the Wm
White administration beginning in 1963, no new boxcars were delivered in
this scheme. Some of the 50-footers lasted right into Conrail. I'm wondering
if EL repainted any of the gray cars bcr.

EL had 2 other boxcar colors: blue 50' cars leased from Gen Foods, and
gray/maroon former DL&W 40' express boxcars.

Paul B

Subject: (erielack) Gray boxcars

I see that Athearn is releasing one of the MDC units in the gray scheme.
How many of these were there? What years were these used?
Mike Dickinson