(erielack) More C&WI questions

Pat, I can tell you what was on the July 1962 schedule; I don't imagine
operations in the late '50's were much different.

Eastbound: Train 100 Dp 51st St at 2230 daily XSun, Ar Cx 0145, carried LCL
and FF for
                     Bingo and all pts east incl S&U, DH/B&M and NYNH&H

Westbound: from Cx: 1st-99 Dp 2100, Ar 51st St 0100, 2nd-99 Dp 2230 Ar 51st
St 0200
                       from Maybrook: NE-99 Dp 2359, Ar 51st St 0130
(NYNH&H, B&M/D&H traffic)
                      all daily XSun

These cars were handled as transfers to and from 51st St where they were
added/subtracted to/from TOFC and interchange transfer cuts. I'm guessing
that since they all arrived within an hour of each other, cars off the 99's
were consolidated into a single transfer to 14th St unless one of the trains
was late. Interesting factoid from EL in color V1: the freighthouse was so
busy in the 1950's that LCL at times was sent to Akron for sorting and then
returned to Chicago.

Pertinent to our past discussion of livestock traffic, the traffic list for
100 includes "livestock Chester NY", which is just S of Greycourt. The
headend livestock cars on that August ELHS calendar photo were most likely
the Chester setout on 100.

Paul B

Does anyone have any information about service to the Erie's Chicago
freighthouse in the late-50s?  I'm particularly interested in what type of
power was used, typical train size, schedule times for inbound and outbound
transfers.  I'm also aware there were two buildings.  Was one an inbound
house and the other outbound?  If that's true, were empties switched from
the inbound to outbound house for loading?  Did the transfer crews shunt the
cars or was that another job?

Thanks for any information.

Pat Foley