RE: (erielack) Barclay Street ferry landing location

My first trip on the Lackawanna ferries was some time in the early 50s when my father drove the family to Hoboken and drove on the boat to "just look around".  Being about 5, I bought the line.  The first scare I got was when the boat slowly departed the slip and I started screaming "the dock is moving!!"  The fear quickly changed on the return trip and I was facinated with them up until the end riding the Elmira's last trip across the Hudson.  There was something solid about the old steam ferries.  New York waterways is fast and lightweight.  I always get the feeling they are ready to capsize.

Ed Montgomery

________________________________

From: erielack-owner_@_lists.elhts.org on behalf of Tupaczewski, Paul R (Paul)
Sent: Mon 8/29/2005 12:18 PM
To: EL List
Subject: RE: (erielack) Barclay Street ferry landing location

Don Kern pointed out:

> Speaking of the NYW Ferrys  here is thier website...
> http://www.nywaterway.com/index.html
> In Addition to the rebuilding of the Lackawanna Ferry Slips
> they will
> be doing other Ferry Terminals as well

I'm very happy to see NY Waterway putting up new ferry terminals (including the soon-to-be-reactivated DL&W Hoboken ferry slips and the "Port Imperial" terminal, located on the site of the former NYC West Shore terminal and ferries). But am I the only one who laments the "modernization" of everything? I know it's an inevitability, and we need to progress forward, but I sure miss the "romanticism" of the equipment of yesteryear. Today you take high-speed, small and relatively lightweight ferries that zip back and forth across the Hudson. In the "good old days," you'd take a large railroad ferry (which could also carry automobile traffic to a limited degree) in a big, beautifully appointed interior. <sigh>

Same goes for RR equipment proper. I miss the old green MU's and wicker chairs!