RE: (erielack) Blairstown

To view or download the image(s), click on or cut and paste the
following URL into your web browser:

http://lists.railfan.net/listthumb.cgi?erielack-08-29-05

bigmap.jpg (image/jpeg, 1050x1147 78883 bytes, BF: 15.27 ppb)

Paul B. wrote:

> I guess every RR is
> different; in CTC operations I'm familiar with, train orders
> are conveyed to
> crews directly via radio. Presumably the former DL&W
> territory didn't have
> radio.

Did they deliver train orders via radio back in the 1970s? I know it's commonplace today, but I didn't think back then they did this. (hence the reason for a lot of manned towers)

> Re: New Loop: looking at the premerger map on the same page,
> I gather it
> passed under the Susie-Q on the old Erie passenger alignment.
> Looks like
> they had to shorten some storage tracks. So where was the
> intermodal area in
> relation to this map? Did it take up the SE quadrant of the
> yard (CX is
> aligned more or less north-south)?

Croxton actually runs on a northwest-southeast axis. The intermodal area was in the northeast quadrant.

> Finally, I'm now thoroughly confused about the Hoboken link.
> Does anyone
> know if the Society has a map(s) of this area in the final
> years, including
> Croxton, Hoboken, Loops, ramps and Connections? Paul, thanks
> for all that
> info.

Here's my "Quick, simple, ugly" (tm) map, simplifying down to what you asked for ("some lines omitted for clarity" - man, I love that disclaimer! :)