RE: (erielack) Re: (erielackOT Re: Alleged Amtrak Police Miscond uct

Rick Sedlisky wrote:

> Why should we end this discussion on this list? If indeed
> these events took
> place as have been stated, we have a responsibility to make
> sure that these
> things don't happen again, as we know they will if we keep
> our mouths shut and
> accept what is not correct.
>
> If what he states in accurate, that there were no signs stating "No
> trespassing," then he was in his right to photograph.

The discussion should end because it does NOT directly relate to EL! There are other places to discuss this topic, let's leave this list to EL/Erie/DL&W discussions, please!

As an aside, about 7 years ago, WAY before all of this police paranoia, I was taking Amtrak to Chicago via Washington, DC. While waiting to board the westbound Capitol Limited, I walked down the platform and photographed the station throat and the various trains coming in and out. I was summarily chastised by a police officer who told me that I wasn't allowed on the platform without a ticket (so I showed her my ticket), and then she said, "Your train is boarding, and this is private property and you're trespassing. Go back to the station, or I will arrest you."

I wasn't about to have my trip fouled by this, so I complied. I later found out that Washington Union Station has a strict "no trespassing unless you're boarding a train" policy. The fact is, even though it is a public railroad station, it is PRIVATE PROPERTY owned by Amtrak and they have the authority to place rules on anyone there, for many reasons including liability.

End of discussion! :)