Re: (erielack) Blairstown & Hoboken connections

> The ramp was to allow Erie passenger trains to access Hoboken Terminal
> when the Erie JC terminal was closed. The only evidence of the ramp is the
> bridge over Newark St. The fill was removed a few years ago to make room
> for a parking lot.

The ramp crossed Jersey Ave at grade just south of the Newark Street bridge.
The track and grade crossing were still there when I started working in the
Lackawanna Warehouse in 1995, although the crossing signal had long ago been
winged by a truck, and the rails were not connected at either end.

This ramp was proposed by the Northern Valley and Susquehanna Commuters
Association as a way to get those trains into Hoboken via the Erie Tunnel.
"Can't be done! argued the DL&W. The real reason was apparently the fear by
DL&W management that the NYS&W stainless steel coaches might get some of the
cranky and influential Lackawanna commuters to demand equally "modern" cars
to replace  the Wild West Boonton-Liners.

>> The  "other" ramp was the more intriguing one - it came off the north
>> side of the  DL&W tracks, and made a steep, sharp curve down to the
>> Weehawken Branch, facing NORTH. What was THAT ramp used for?  I think the
>> ramp is still

This is the same ramp discussed a few weeks ago regarding the alte Gordon
Thompson's aborted West Shore Inspection and various fan trips covering the
West Shore during the 1960s. I believe it was also installed as part of the
reroute into Hoboken, and allowed entire trains to be turned.

Cheers,
Jim Guthrie