(erielack) Erie Steam

That's interesting, because in EL days the "passenger main" was commonly
used by freights, I think mostly the expedited schedules with higher hpt. I
presume the reason for this was dieselization, providing superior traction
at low speed. Did this practice begin premerger?

The River line was among the first Conrail abandonments. I visited the area
in the summer of '77, arriving at a campsite near the reservoir between
Hornell and Tip Top after dark. I was awakened by the whine of dynamics as a
coal drag came down the hill; the tracks were in plain view. I shot out of
that tent like greased lightning, and the chase was on! There was so much
rail activity around Hornell that day, it was about 2 o'clock before I
realized I hadn't eaten anything.

Paul B

The daily way freight was hauled by a 2-8-2, I think, with a fat Elesco
feedwater heater, westbound in the morning and eastbound in the afternoon.
Through freights were very rare on that line because of the grade, but they
occasionally came through, maybe if there was a problem on the River Line.
It was an amazing day when the first one came through behind an EMD black
and yellow A-B-B-A lashup.  Was there ever a sweeter Diesel paint scheme?
The two-tone green of the later E8s was nice, being both elegant and
understated, but the black and yellow was bold and dramatic and made you sit
up and take notice.  It still does, even if it's in HO gauge.