Re: (erielack) Blairstown

I've always wondered (as have lots of others) why EL was so eager to cede the Boonton line row in Paterson for I-280 when they must have had some inkling of the potential problems with operating through freights on the NY&GL. I imagine the clearance-restricted Kingsland tunnel was a big factor. Do you know the actual vertical clearance?

Paul B

- ----- Original Message -----
  From: Dlw1el2_@_aol.com
  To: jdent1_@_optonline.net ; doctorpb@bellsouth.net
  Cc: paultup_@_lucent.com ; erielack@lists.railfan.net
  Sent: Friday, August 26, 2005 7:42 PM
  Subject: Re: (erielack) Blairstown

  In a message dated 8/26/2005 9:34:13 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time, jdent1_@_optonline.net writes:
    It was my understanding, at least during the late EL years and early
    Conrail years, that through freights to/from Suffern and points west never
    used the east end of the former DL&W Boonton line, but instead always
    traversed the Bergen County line.  This was supposedly due to the steep
    grade and curvature of the connection from Paterson to the Boonton line.

    So only locals and transfer runs would have regularly used the "new" connection.

    Can anyone confirm this?

    NJ Transit spent millions of $$ double-tracking and rebuilding this section within the last few years in preparation for opening Secaucus Jct.

    Jim Dent

  Jim
  I would say that's wrong only from the stand point that the Erie Side freights would normally come down the Bergen County line, but if necessary they could have gone the other way, it just would have meant entering Croxton from the opposite end. The curve and grade didn't enter into the scenario that much.

  Kingsland  Tunnel prevented high cars from going that way.

  There was an ordinary referred to as the Paterson Man, that delivered and picked up at Paterson. Not sure if he always would cut off at Ridgewood and go back down to Paterson, or if he would have come up the Main Line side?

  Bob Bahrs

End of EL List Daily V3 #1755