(erielack) FW: Pe

   _____

From: Douglas Crosby [mailto:dhc_@_open.org]
Sent: Friday, August 26, 2005 11:13 PM
To: erielack-owner_@_lists.elhts.org
Subject: Pe

 I was born in 1949, in Salamanca, NY. We lived in Peru, South America (I
have flown in & out of the Pucallpa airport which was the news this last
week) for a year and a half , ‘54-’55 so about the time I would have formed
a strong interest in the local RR – we weren’t there.

            My “home” always seemed to be my Grandmothers place next door to
the Sheriff’s residence/jail in Little Valley, though I lived in Randolph
’59-’63 and went to RCS from 3rd grade thru graduation. I remember diesels
on the line, which ran directly at the back of my grandmothers property,
though there was an intervening bank and brush so we couldn’t see the
trains. (the OLD  main—ie. Dunkirk Branch) Occasionally saw them serving
Little Valley Lumber Co. at the east end of town, or at Gray Milling,
downtown. I remember that my class went for a train ride from Salamanca,
probably 1st grade – I was sick, couldn’t go. I have a vague mental image of
having seen an Erie passenger unit at the Salamanca station once. My dad and
I started a model RR layout [plans, purchased an Athern Steam Loco (B&O) and
a few other items] about ’62 – but when my folks divorced in 63 that didn’t
get built. A friend and I started a “Model Railroad Club” in Little Valley
in late ’64 – working toward building that planned layout in grandma’s barn
a few hundred feet from the Erie tracks. I had a Brownie starflash  camera,
but didn’t have enough interest in REAL trains to take pictures!!

            I got back into model railroading about 17 years ago – an 8’x8’
fold up layout, freelance, western theme. Then about 7-8 years ago bought a
used copy of Men of Erie and decided to start again. I’m modeling the
Salamanca area, ca.1951. Roughly 600’ (total) track, just getting started
with structures and scenery.

            I have no memories of Erie steam, though I probably did see
some. But I like steam! (My only experience “working on the railroad” is a
couple of days as a volunteer helping around the roundhouse in Portland, OR.
Most vivid (but not Technicolor !!) memory – cleaning the inside of the
smokebox on the SP&S 700.

            Since I have been mostly out of the area since going off to
start college in the fall of ’67 ( and in Oregon since ’78) my knowledge of
the EL is almost non-existent. Looking for the “ghost” of Erie in Salamanca
is what brought me to the list.

Doug Crosby

ELHS 2830

ELH&TS 41

Genealogist- HYPERLINK
"http://www.lookingforgrandma.com/"www.lookingforgrandma.com

Photographer- HYPERLINK
"http://www.photosbycrosby.com/"www.photosbycrosby.com

Model Railroader-  HYPERLINK "http://www.open.org/~dhc"www.open.org/~dhc
(site currently in need of much repair!, sorry)

- --
Checked by AVG Anti-Virus.

- --
Checked by AVG Anti-Virus.