RE: (erielack) Transition scheme Erie F's

 Steve Twarogowski asked, re: Erie F-units on the EL:

> I have a few questions before I begin – these shots and some
> others from Vol. 4 The Early Years, show the 4-digit number
> and EL diamond on some B units.  Were any of the stripes
> widened on the B units?  I’m thinking they weren’t and all
> that was done was the application of the EL decal.  The 8024
> shot from above (the B unit in the shot) seems to indicate
> the stripes were left alone.

You're 100% correct in your assumption - the only changes the "patch job"
units had were the numbers and the EL diamond on the side (in some cases, an
EL diamond on the nose in-between the wings as well)

> Second, what decals would one recommend for the EL diamond
> and the 4 digit numbering?  My plan is to do one A unit with
> the EL diamonds on the flanks and leave the nose alone; the B
> unit with the EL diamonds and the second A unit with Erie
> diamonds on the nose and flank but with the EL number.  I
> assume Paul’s set will take care of the number boards.

You're correct about the numberboards. I'd have to do some measuring, but I
think the nose logo was 34" tall.

> Sort of on the same topic – back to Morning Sun’s Volume 4 –
> there are some F unit shots in the EL black/yellow scheme
> without a diamond but with the EL name spelled out on the
> flanks.  Does any one know how many units (and which
> ones) were done this way and how long did those units last in
> that scheme?

These were REALLY rare birds: My records show only two - FTA 6011 and "F5"
7091. 6011 was repainted EL GMY in 1963, and 7091 was in GMY by 1964.

These aren't to be confused with the few "patch job" units that had the
large roadname on the flanks with a yellow rectangle border on former Erie
F-units; those were temporary relettering jobs and lasted less than 3 years.

	- Paul

- --
Checked by AVG Anti-Virus.