(erielack) Transition scheme Erie F's

To all you modelers out there,

I’m mulling over altering my Erie Genesis F3 A-B-A set to reflect the early
EL years.  Since I’m not really narrowing my layout to any one-year or set
of years on the EL, I thought it’d look nice to have some of these F’s with
Erie diamonds and wings on the nose and an EL decal on the sides with a 4
digit number.  The following shots from George’s site offer great evidence
of the different variations:

http://www.rr-fallenflags.org/el/loco/el8001ajh.jpg

http://www.rr-fallenflags.org/el/loco/el8021ajh.jpg

http://www.rr-fallenflags.org/el/loco/erie8024ajh.jpg

I have a few questions before I begin – these shots and some others from
Vol. 4 The Early Years, show the 4-digit number and EL diamond on some B
units.  Were any of the stripes widened on the B units?  I’m thinking they
weren’t and all that was done was the application of the EL decal.  The 8024
shot from above (the B unit in the shot) seems to indicate the stripes were
left alone.

Second, what decals would one recommend for the EL diamond and the 4 digit
numbering?  My plan is to do one A unit with the EL diamonds on the flanks
and leave the nose alone; the B unit with the EL diamonds and the second A
unit with Erie diamonds on the nose and flank but with the EL number.  I
assume Paul’s set will take care of the number boards.

Lastly, and possibly most importantly, has any one done this or something
similar with the Genesis F’s?  I’ve not tried it and I’m unsure how the
paint will react at any attempt to erase the diamonds and numbers.  That is
my biggest concern.  What techniques have any of you used for removal of
numbering and so forth on the Genesis units and what, if any, damage was
done to the underlying paint?

Sort of on the same topic – back to Morning Sun’s Volume 4 – there are some
F unit shots in the EL black/yellow scheme without a diamond but with the EL
name spelled out on the flanks.  Does any one know how many units (and which
ones) were done this way and how long did those units last in that scheme?

Any and all help is appreciated.

Thanks.
Steve

PS – when is someone going to produce a model of EL F’s in the black/yellow
scheme?  Ah, that’d be nice.