Re: (erielack) pecking order/members ages

>>what is the attraction that brought you to one or both of the E-L
>>societies and this website?

Well for me a combination of different experiences brought me to be a
Lackawanna fan. As I said before, I am only 24, so I never knew the
Lackawanna, Erie or EL personally. My first exposure came from my
grandfather and his recollections of growing up in Elmira during the 30's
and 40's. Growing up on Elmira's Eastside he was surrounded by families that
worked on the Lackawanna, he lived only 3 blocks from the Lackawanna "Y" and
therefore was preferential to the Lackawanna. My grandmother grew up in
Elmira Heights and lived opposite of the Lackawanna mainline, so her
memories of the railroad were also a big influence. Then came my modeling
interest when I was about 9 or 10. I built my first 4x8 with Grandpa and I
started out as a NYC fan (and still am) and I joined the Cornell Railroad
Historical Society, which exposed me to the LV and Lackawanna. I met some
other guys from Elmira that were big Lackawanna buffs, Greg Dickinson and
Bob Sowers and that pretty much  inspired my interest in, first modeling the
late 60's and 70's  EL, with those nice big standard cab units SD45's,
U36C's and the more "modern" looking motive power and rolling stock.

    As I aged, I became more interested in the history of the EL and really
became captivated by the Lackawanna. I was so very impressed with the color
of the Lackawanna, the motive power, and the operations of the "most highly
developed railroad in the US." With that my modeling efforts changed to the
late 1950's and 1960's and started to seriously focus on the Lackawanna.  I
suppose it also helped that I maintained a great interest in the NYC which
of course has similar motive power as the Lackawanna and both of which were
major players in Elmira/ Corning area.  It was only by coincidence that I
chose to go to the University of Dayton where again the EL and NYC visited,
so even during my college years I was able to learn about Ohio operations of
two of my favorite roads.  It has only been in the last few years that I
have come to enjoy Erie Steam, which I attribute to the fact that Erie steam
seems to be more commercially available. Lackawanna steam usually only
available in Brass and as a recent college graduate is sometimes out of
range for my wallet. All of this combined fostered my interest in the
Lackawanna, Erie and EL and so joining ELHS and this list seemed like an
obvious choice and to date with few exceptions, I have not been
disappointed. So that's pretty much how I got here.

- -Shawn Karney

ELHS 3377

HO Junction Custom Models

www.hojunction.com