RE: (erielack) Feb. 67 Suburban Timetable / Equipment

Given that service restoration on the Main-Bergen County Lines started about
6 months after the October 1966 cuts, I suspect that someone at NJ Dept. of
Transportation was urging the EL at the time not to start junking the older
Stillwells and Boonton cars.  Talks regarding subsidy increases must have
started soon after the cutback, maybe before.  According to Roger Grant, the
Commuter Operating Authority (the mechanism in NJDOT which provided commuter
service subsidy) started in June 1966, just before the cuts.  (The order
allowing the cuts came in May, 66).  So, New Jersey did respond, but it took
time to set up, as with all government bureaucracy.  So it's not all that
surprising that the EL knew that the State would soon pay for more service,
and thus held on to most of the coaches.  Nonetheless, there must have  been
an unsung hero in NJDOT who pushed the EL to stay ready to put trains back.
One of those little stories that you wish you could read about, but may be
lost forever.

Jim Gerofsky