Re:RE: (erielack) Teletype - fax

John, Gary et al:

In the late 19th century, my grandfather was secretary to Major John W. Johnston, president of recently completed Georgia Pacific Railroad. Running from Atlanta to the Mississippi, it had become part of the Richmond & Danville;  Major Johnston became Fourth Vice-President of that system but soon resigned over differences of opinion about fiscal matters.

In 1892, my grandfather accompanied Major Johnston to New York City, as his secretary, when Major Johnston became President or Vice-President of the Gray National Telautograph Company.  "Telos"- far away; "auto" - one's self; and "grapho" - to write: literally, to write by one's self far away.  Invented by Professor Elisha Gray, this was an electrical device for the instantaneous transmission of handwriting.  Somebody in the organization composed this:

"One time to Uncle Sam we went
    and gave our letter to be sent
and trusted to his care.
    But now as quick as one can think
We write it down in lightning ink,
    and when it's here it there!"

The device was still experimental and the company was slow in developing so Major Johnston soon withdrew and returned to Birmingham.  My grandfather stayed north and joined the American Surety Company.

The above is from his typescript memoir; thanks for making me look it up.  Telautograph is not mentioned again.

Randy Brown, NH
Gary,

I believe these were the telautographs(sp?).  I remember seeing a bank of them at the Penn Station (NYP) reservations desk way back when.

My father worked for the ACL up on Vanderbuilt Avenue, and downstairs in the Passenger Traffic Dept. I believe they had them also.

I wonder if they were some sort of PRR standard/network?

<><   john   ><>