RE: (erielack) Caldwell Branch Operations

We do have the following folder in the Steamtown Archives:

Box 200-Folder 022  --Erie RR--Contract #1156--Erie RR and Morristown &
Erie Railroad - connection and joint passenger station, Essex Fells, NJ
dated December 1, 1904 [Special Note:  includes correspondence regarding
allocation of station expenses at Essex Fells, NJ]

Let me know if anyone has any great interest in this and I'll pull it and
take a look at it.

Pat McKnight
Historian/Archivist
Steamtown NHS

                      "Tupaczewski, Paul
                      R (Paul)"                  To:       "'erie910'" <erie910_@_fastmail.fm>,
                      <paultup_@_lucent.com         erielack@lists.railfan.net
                      >                          cc:       (bcc: Pat McKnight/STEA/NPS)
                      Sent by:                   Subject:  RE: (erielack) Caldwell Branch Operations
                      erielack-owner_@_list
                      s.elhts.org

                      08/23/2005 11:52 AM
                      AST
                      Please respond to
                      "Tupaczewski, Paul
                      R (Paul)"

> Before road switchers, how were passenger operations on the Caldwell
> Branch handled?  Was there a turntable at Essex Fells to turn
> the steam
> locomotives?

There most definitely was a turntable at Essex Fells, that both the Erie
and the M&E shared.

  The most recent Greenwood Lake/Caldwell Branch
> passenger
> timetable which I have shows a few shuttle runs between Great
> Notch and
> Essex Fells.  Some of the times between arrival in Essex
> Fells and the
> next trip out of Great Notch back to Essex Fells do not allow
> much time
> to turn a steam locomotive, couple on, do an air test, and return to
> Great Notch.

You'd be surprised how quickly you can turn one! I have an old 8mm film of
them turning brand-new M&E Alco S4 #14 on the turntable, and it took
roughly a 30 seconds to spin it 180 degrees.