RE: (erielack) Caldwell Branch Operations

> Before road switchers, how were passenger operations on the Caldwell
> Branch handled?  Was there a turntable at Essex Fells to turn
> the steam
> locomotives?

There most definitely was a turntable at Essex Fells, that both the Erie and the M&E shared.

  The most recent Greenwood Lake/Caldwell Branch
> passenger
> timetable which I have shows a few shuttle runs between Great
> Notch and
> Essex Fells.  Some of the times between arrival in Essex
> Fells and the
> next trip out of Great Notch back to Essex Fells do not allow
> much time
> to turn a steam locomotive, couple on, do an air test, and return to
> Great Notch.

You'd be surprised how quickly you can turn one! I have an old 8mm film of them turning brand-new M&E Alco S4 #14 on the turntable, and it took roughly a 30 seconds to spin it 180 degrees.