(erielack) LCL C&O/PM to DL&W and Erie

Another good example why it is worthwhile to join other railroad
historical societies even if your primary interest is a single road. In
the latest, July/August issue of the C&OHS magazine is an article on how
the C&O handled LCL shipments in the post WWII era into the 1950's.

An interesting tidbit of information was there were direct cars which
left daily from the PM (later C&O) Grand Rapids, MI LCL transfer house
to the Erie at Hornell, NY and the DL&W to Scranton Transfer (via either
the NKP or PM/C&O-Black Rock Branch-East Buffalo most likely). Since the
primary  LCL commodity shipped out of Grand Rapids was furniture, the
cars used would most likely be one of the PM Automobile/Furniture cars
or similar C&O or foreign road car. Another car for you transition era
modelers to include in the consist.

The article is very well done and anyone with an interest in how
railroads handled LCL, I recommend getting a copy. I don't know what
availability is to non-members, but you can find contact information on
the web site:

http://www.cohs.org/

As a bonus, there is an excellent article on the C&O 95000 series 40
foot, double door automobile box cars in the second half. Almost
certainly these would have traveled on DL&W or Erie rails. Worth the
cover price of $5.95 alone is a terrific back cover color shot of a C&O
1950's tractor-trailer painted in the C&O colors in a publicity shot in
front of the West Virgina state capital building. Not DL&W or Erie, but
very impressive.

While I'm on the topic of the C&OHS, if you have any interest in freight
cars, connecting freight schedules or LCL schedules, the C&OHS offers an
excellent selection of reprints of all of these for the C&O and PM along
with several other regional or connecting roads. You can order them from
their web site.

The NKPH&TS is another excellent source of information. I've learned
more about DL&W through line passenger service and equipment from the
NKPH&TS publication than I have from The Diamond I'm sorry to say.

The bottom line is, if you really strive to understand a specific
railroad, you have to remember it operated as part of a national
network. It wasn't an island.

Will Shultz

End of EL List Daily V3 #1751