RE: (erielack) Teletype - fax

- --- Schuyler Larrabee <schuyler.larrabee_@_verizon.net> wrote:
> On Behalf Of Robert Stafford
> > The FAX machine had not been put into production during the
> > EL days. Not sure it have even been invented yet.
>
> I believe the fax machine actually was INVENTED in the 1930s but wasn't
> a technologically worthwhile
> device until the mid-80's.

In the 1960's, the LIRR had a machine in the Flatbush Avenue terminal that
received a signal from Jamaica (and probably other main stations) and
reproduced whatever was being hand-written on a similar machine.  I don't
remember its name...  It WAS used to transmit train order information.

Gary R. Kazin
DLW MP R35.7
Rockaway, New Jersey

http://www.geocities.com/gkazin/index.html