Re: (erielack) pecking order/members ages

Ed Mines wrote "Are there any group members who actually saw Erie Steam?"
              I grew up in Paterson, NJ in the 30's and 40's and rode behind
Erie steam. My dad had relatives in Astoria, Queens and several times a month
we would take the Erie at Market St. station to Jersey City. The engines were
almost always 4-6-2 Pacifics in the 2500 series with Vanderbilt tenders and
Stillwell cars. The Lackawanna had a grand looking station at Marshall St. but I
could never convince my dad to use DL&W. Lackawanna freights used that line
(known as the Boonton Line) and the sound of a doubleheader steam train echoing
off of Garret Mtn. was something I can still remember. Sometimes, my dad and
I would ride the Susquehanna ACF streamliner out of Paterson City station to
Susquehanna Transfer (North Bergen) and then a Public Service bus to Manhattan.
Living two blocks away from Susquehanna, I would see their steam powered
commuter trains, but they were replaced by Alco RS-1's in the early 40's. Growing
up around three steam railroads in town made me a railfan for life.
                      Dom Mele-ELHS # 769