(erielack) The Diamond / West-End questions...

I received my Diamond over the weekend, and it was a good issue. I thought Ron Dukarm's Buffalo Coal dock article was superb and well-researched; I can't wait for part 2! I never knew the DL&W had such a nasty streak back in the 1800s (then again, didn't most corporations? :)

The State Line Tower article brought back some questions I've always had about the EL west of Hammond, IN... pardon this ignorant "east ender", but...

* The Erie/EL officially terminated at Hammond, IN?
* The Erie/EL did have "islands" of operation in Chicago land (for example, 55th St Yard), correct?
* Who performed transfer runs around Chicago - EL or C&WI (for EL) - sort of like IHB doing transfer runs?
* Did the Erie ever have track all the way to Chicago, or did the C&WI come about as a result of them trying to get into Chicagoland?
* After C-day, was C&WI sucked into Conrail? Or someone else?
* As Erie was part owner of C&WI, how was their use of C&WI lines settled? Did Erie pay? If so, was it just "funny money" that went to subsidiary C&WI?

Always wondered about these... Any west-enders care to take these on?