Re: (erielack) pecking order/members ages

I'm 26 almost 27..... Missed everything EXCEPT for the DL&W Mu's...Rode them when i was 5.....

Steve Pellettiere

- -----Original Message-----
From: Walter Smith <wsmith5957_@_hotmail.com>
To: Charles_Walsh_@_Berlex.com; mail@joshuakblay.com; johnkluge@citcom.net
Cc: ed_mines_@_yahoo.com; erielack@Lists.Railfan.net; erielack-owner@lists.elhts.org; snopercod@citcom.net; alfred_runte@msn.com
Sent: Mon, 22 Aug 2005 12:10:55 -0400
Subject: Re: (erielack) pecking order/members ages

I thought about it for a minute and then realized I DID see ERIE steam (albeit from a distance). I was about 5 years old and my grandmother & mom had gone to Scranton on the Laurel Line interurban for some reason in the middle of the day (shopping probly). This was about 1942. On the way home to the Pittston station, we'd just come out of the long tunnel when my mom said "Look, Walter, there's a train!" and far across the valley & higher on a hillside was a freight southbound with 2 and maybe 3 engines working prettty hard - the exhaust blasting straight out of the stacks.
  I realize now that what I'd seen was a train on the E&WV line of the ERIE headed for Avoca yard. At that time, I thought the world revolved around the Lehigh Valley where several of my mothers relatives earned their daily bread. I vaguely knew the DL&W really had a big operation in Scranton and a REALLY big station. As for the ERIE - it hardly registered on my mind. Only in books like ERIE POWER did I see fotos of the russian decapods running around the collierys as well as the action on the D&H line to Forest City.
  Like the song says "Don't it always seem as though ya don't know what you got 'til it's gone?"
  Later when I was in high school I was riding a bus to Wilkes-Barre on the East side of the Susquehanna river and just past the Wyoming bridge, a single track paralelled the road for a mile or soon the east side of the road. The Lehigh Valley mainline was on the West side of the road & until the bus overtook 2 GP7s & about 20 or so MT hoppers & caboose, I didn't know the ERIE had a reach this far........not much of a reach....one poor track that crossed the hiway & weevilled off thru the backyards of the houses along the road. This was the line from Avoca yard that went to (I think) the Prospect colliery.

Regards to all

Walt Smith