RE: (erielack) How many work for a railroad

to interested list members
i didn't know that by asking who has prior railroad experience that was
creating a pecking order or getting into quote"pissing contest" on who is
top dog.  when some one like steve timko answers an email i know that comes
from the operation side of the railroad.  when my dad talks it comes from
the train operation side.
i could watch trains , listen to the scanner and think i know what is
happening.  but when i acutally talk to rr employees it can confirm either
way on my questions.  most railroad employees that i have run into are happy
to talk and you can find out so much stuff that like in any business is
taken for granted.
like some member on this list i would like to pull out any and all
information from railroad employees while they are still with us.  once they
pass on that knowledge will be lost forever, and the what ifs and i thinks
will be that guesses.  these people are a resource for us who have questions
about operations both train and operation. so are they superior i would say
no. when they do talk we should listen to the msg.  not worry about
grammatic errors or case or font typing on msg.  we all make errors.  lets
just learn more about or interests and if it doesnt interest us delete it.

Tim Heckman
ELHS#2571
B&SW division
MP 35 DAYTON HILL 2.5% GRADE STEEPEST ON ERIE