Re: (erielack) Worked On The Railroad CLP&E

In a message dated 8/20/2005 3:59:39 PM Eastern Standard Time, RJFlei_@_aol.com
writes:
Didn't the EL use this branch for a detour in the 60s when there was a wreck
on the ERIE???

Steve Timko would probably know more about this than I do. Can you help out
on this one Steve? Thanks

Rick
Rick and list:

Prior to my being employed with EL, there was a major wreck at AMASA.  A
westbound train, I think it was #77, engineer Paul W Mushrush and fireman (running
the engine) Larry E Erwin derailed due to a hot friction journal on a Mexican
boxcar or refer.  The derailment tore down the B&LE Hi Line (cutoff) bridge.
The EL detoured trains via B&LE from XN Tower, Shenango to French Creek for
about two weeks.

Also, after 1965, the EL laid welded rail at varous locations between BK and
XN.  During the daylight trackwork hours, the trains operated via B&LE from
French Creek to XN.  One morning I was riding the headend of #5 from Hornell to
Warren.  The train was late and we operated via the B&LE.  The engineer on #5
was Pete Hoover who previously was qualifed on the B&LE when the Erie operated
westbound trains via that route.  Pete was told by the DS that he would be
held at BK until the pilot arrived at French Creek.  When the B&LE engineer
pilot boarded at FC, he asked Pete to get up and let him run.  Pete replied "Let's
see the orders kid....I was running on this railroad before you were in
diapers."

SMT