Re: (erielack) Re: How many work for a railroad?

- ----- Original Message -----
From: <TrainGG1_@_aol.com>
To: <erielack_@_lists.railfan.net>
Sent: Thursday, August 18, 2005 1:51 PM
Subject: (erielack) Re: How many work for a railroad?

> On August 18th, Paul B asked this question of the E  list:
>
> I would like to now just how many of the members worked on a  RR?

I don't know if this qualifies as working, but as a teen, I joined the Tioga
Transportation Society, received training and volunteered for The Tioga
Central Railroad when they still ran the old ex-LV line from Owego to
Dryden. Training was fun. We received a TCRR rule book and a Conrail rule
book. After the classroom time (at the local grange hall), we got down to
business practicing giving hand signals and coupling and uncoupling cars.
After successfully coupling the loco to a string of cars and connecting the
air, it was my turn to then go through the uncoupling routine. I did
everything as I should, and gave the signal for the ALCO switcher to pull
away. I was so proud of myself, that I forgot to signal the engineer to
stop, until someone reminded me that he was about 1/4 mile away. Them was
the days.