Re: (erielack) WAG convention (off topic)

Bob:

It sounds like I missed a great event.  If I hadn't
been out of the area, I would have attended, as it's
in my backyard (i.e. approx. 45 min drive).

I like to ask you one point of clarification on your
comments.  When you stated below that you saw in the
movie & slide presentations, plenty of the WAG in the
Wellsville yard, did you mean the Erie / EL yard by
the Erie freight house?  or the small yard that the
WAG had west of the trestle and south of the high
school / WAG passenger and freight stations?

Also, if the yard in question was the Erie / EL one,
did you just see WAG rolling stock there or did you
see WAG locos (esp. the Fords and F7's)?  I'm asking
this, as its been a well known point of contention
amongst WAG observers as to where did both the Erie /
EL power and WAG power roam over the other's track in
Wellsville.

Many say that the WAG power never ventured onto the
Erie / EL trackage and left their interchange traffic
on the siding just west (more or less) of Main St (by
the old Hopkins Lumber Co.).  Likewise, many say that
the Erie / EL power left their interchange at the same
place.

There are others, like myself, who to the best of
their recollection, did see WAG power come up onto the
EL line and proceed to the EL yard to interchange.
I'm not saying that this was the norm, as I can best
recall almost 40 years hence that I witnessed it only
twice.  I wouldn't argue that the line west of Main
St. was the normal interchange point, just that on
rare occaisions, WAG power ventured to the EL yard.

Also, there are some fans who say that Erie / EL power
did venture across the trestle to the yard / wye
complex that the WAG had on the west side of the
Genesee River.  I never witnessed this.

I look forward to your comments.

Regards,

Chris Thurner