(erielack) RR Employment (was "caps")

I worked for CN for four summers in the mid-70's (before the business was
assumed by VIA Rail) in the "Customer and Catering" Dept, where I worked the
call board as sleeping car porter, dining car waiter and club car attendant.
A fun job and good people to work with. I may have unwittingly worked on an
ex-EL car once or twice (req'd EL content). Maybe a list member is has
knowledge of the disposition of EL passenger equipment, and if any cars
ended up on CN. There were lots of college students on the rails, as summer
was peak travel time for CN and peak vacation time for the regular
employees. The job helped pay my way through medical school. They wanted ne
to work also during Christmas break, but the prospect of freezing on the
platform at Sioux Lookout wasn't appealing. What I really wanted was a job
in freight operations; I had been offered one the previous summer, but I was
out of town when the call came.    8^(    But the tips were better in the
dining car!

I had seriously considered a career in railroading, but at that time the
industry appeared headed for nationalization and possible oblivion. If
Staggers had occurred a decade sooner, things may have turned out
differently for me, and I still wonder about what it might have been like.
(Sorry about this long-winded answer to a simple question.)

Paul B

i would like to now just how many of the members worked on a RR? thats all
for the present. D. J. Heckman #59 & # 3294