(erielack) Re: netiquette and gasoline distribution

ok, ENOUGH with the capitals already! Another way to emphasize in typing
is to use *asterisks* around a word. Or you can use -dashes- as well.

I make my periodic plea for not so much replying with entire threads
quoted - it makes it really hard to read, and calls for lots of
scrolling, especially in the digest  form of the list.

so, back to RR content:

re:  gasoline delivery. Was there a pipeline to that Sinclair refinery
in Wellsville? I presume the oil was coming from somewhere in PA at that
time? Maybe the refinery shut down after the oil industry pretty much
moved to the Southwest?
What about that Standard Oil facility? Was the oil and gas coming in by
pipeline and going out to more local distributors by tank car? Or did it
come in by tank car?
What about additives? Were there any in the 20's aside from lead? Was
the lead added at the distribution facility or at the refinery? (These
days most of the additives are added at the distribution facility.) Did
the lead come in by rail?
It would be interesting to know where the major pipelines went in the
20s, the 30s, etc. and how that affected more localized traffic on the
rails.  I think the first big pipline was Standard Oil of NJ, TX to NJ.
Of course during WWII both the Big Inch (TX to southern IL, I think?)
and Little Big Inch (TX to NJ) were built to avoid the German sub
threat, and they changed the whole structure of oil and gas tranport
around '42 and '43.
We've all seen those photos of long oil trains on the Lackawanna and
CNJ. (There's a great one on the back cover of the latest Diamond.) Did
all those trains go away after the pipelines were finished, or did they
continue to carry the "overflow," as it were?

hmm time to do some more research...

dmg