Re:Re: (erielack) Newburgh?

I know; I know!  I rode a fan trip way back then that left either Hoboken or Jersey City and immediately curved down onto the branch to Weehawken -- with everybody watching the diner VERY carefully -- and then through the West Shore tunnel and up to West Point.  We lived in Cresskill or Tenafly at the time, and it was a hoot up through Bergenfield and Harrington Park and so on.

At West Point, we reversed and went, IIRC, back to Newburgh and onto the Erie, under Moodna to Greycourt.  Then, I guess it was back down the main. F3s were the power.

They ran the trips to explore on the way out and come home at track speed all the way, leaving everybody with a literal rush.

There was another that went up the Northern behind PAs to Sparkill, across to Suffern, up to Lackawaxen one way and back the other -- and that wasn't really THAT long ago .. . . 40 years?

It all makes Michael's point -- if that infrastructure were still there, we might be able to match European standards for semi-local train travel in the most heavily populated part of our country.

Oh, well!  Now to try to find some $2.50 gasoline!

Randy Brown
The NY&NJ did NOT connect with the West Shore.

The Erie's Newburgh branches DID - in fact, the stub that remains is served from the West Shore - where else could it connect?