RE: (erielack) Nanuet Passing Sidings (ex NJ&NY RR)

The ludicrous comments made by various elected officials of some of the
towns along the Pascack Valley line opposing the additional passing sidings
makes me wonder how in the world they managed to get elected in the first
place. But I guess intelligence and common sense aren't prerequisites for
getting elected to public office.

*************

I agree.  There were outlandish comments made about impossible situations
like "mile-long" or "100 car" freight trains tying up grade crossings.  This
is NOT the West Shore.  Not in a million years would a double-stack
container train roll through the Pascack Valley.  Why?  It has nowhere to
go. There are no freight customers north of Kuiken Bros in Emerson anymore,
not even sure if they still get carloads of lumber anymore.

Just a bunch of uniformed garbage, while all the while people complain about
traffic on Route 17 and Route 4.  Even the express buses are overcrowded.  I
will always maintain that Bergen and Rockland Counties messed up big time in
not preserving railroads that at the time (40 years ago)were seen as excess,
but would be vital today. Imagine if we had the following: Northern Branch
service through NJ all the way to Nyack (relieve 9W and PIP), Pascack Valley
Line service with stops in northern Spring Valley, Pomona, Mount Ivy,
Thiells and Haverstraw, with a connection to the passenger service on the
ex-NYC West Shore Line, and a RDC-type arrangement between Suffern and
Spring Valley?  Never going to see it, because of lack of planning, and
uniformed, ridiculous public commentary.

What we need is the Robert Moses of rail, if you know what I mean.