(erielack) Instruction for Reproducing Orders Mechanically

From BN Instrucitons for Train Order Operators,
Control Operator and Bridge Tenders

Rule 3 Train Orders
Item i
Instruction for Reproducing Orders Mechanically

Only copy of an order which has been repeated to the
dispatcher will be used in duplicating.

Operatos must not allow other employees to duplicate
orders. Only copier machines capable of reproducing a
replica of orginal with black figure and letters on
white paper maybe used.

Copies must be checked to see that all words and
figures are legible and that no part of the orginal is
missing. Those which are not legible or do not contain
entire original must be destroyed immediatley by
tearing in two or more parts.

When necessary to duplicate more than two copies of
slow and cautionary orders, operator will check with
dispatcher and determine length of time order may be
in effect to avoid making excessive number of copies.
When more than two copies are made, operator will file
one of the copies of each order duplicated showing
thereon time and date of duplication and operator
initials.

Should duplicating machine fail to reproduce legible
copies, its use must be discontinued for this purposed
until repaired. Additional copies of orders must ten
be repeated to dispatcher.

Back then only the larger terminals/stations had photo
copy machines. These where mostly relay operator jobs.
Us agent/operators out on the road all most always had
to hand type the copies we needed of orders and read
them back to the train dispatcher. This normally was
the job of the third trick operator to make enough for
the next two tricks.
When I worked the 3rd trick operators job at
Northport, NE we had orders for trains going in 3
directions. It would take me at least an hour every
night to type them all up. With the volume of trains
that we handed up to I had to make often times make 2
typings of each slow order to have enough. Then the
problem was to get the 3rd trick dispatcher to listen
to you read them back to him and ok them. It was time
consuming for him also. Sometimes he would not take
the time to listen to all them and I had to then
transfer them to the day trick to read back.
Our dispatcher was the Alliance South Dispatcher.
Later when I went to 2nd trick at Northport former EL
Marion Dispatcher Lynn Davis was holding that job. Two
former EL guys working together in the Panhandle of
Nebraska to move trains, who would have figured.
Bob Stafford