Re: (erielack) politeness, was: DAYTON HILL.

SMT - I also do not recall any rule that orders be typed (I certainly wrote
a bunch by hand at QD and BY in 65-67).  One reason typed orders may have
been done in caps is that billing machines, which most agencies (as opposed
to interlocking towers) had, and which could also be used for orders and
letters, only printed in caps.  Many Agent-Operators would only have a
billing machine at their disposal.
      Certainly all cap orders were somewhat easier to read in the dim light
of engines and cabooses, as you note, but I think this was good luck rather
than a plan.
Have a safe day.
MJC