(erielack) Cumbres & Toltec .... ON Topic!

As some of you know, I am a big fan of the Cumbres & Toltec Scenic
Railway, operating 64 miles of the D&RGW Narrow Gauge in Colorado & New
Mexico.  There is a volunteer support group (of which I am a member)
known as the Friends of the C&TS, a very active volunteer group that
coordinates 6 week-long on-site work sessions each year, resulting in
thousands of volunteer hours on the site.  In the most recent issue of
their newsletter (C&TS Dispatch), there is an interesting article on the
construction (in the mid 1980's) of a set of coaches for the line.
Starting with steel flatcars, new coach bodies were constructed on the
cars.  These have clerestory roofs and open end platforms (ala the DL&W
Boonton Coaches).  I'll qoute now the relevant "EL" connection here:

"The seats were acquired from the Indiana Railway Museum in Noblesville,
Indiana.  These seats had been taken out of surplus Erie Lackawanna
commuter passenger equipment.  I do not recall exactly, but I think we
"Stole" them for something between $15 and $25 each!  It almost cost
more in freight to Antonito (Colorado, the eastern end of the C&TS and
location of the car shop) than the cost of the seats.  These seats were
old Hale & Kilburn walkover seats, so the passengers could set them up
to face forward regardless of direction of the train."

So if you ever get the chance to go out to southern Colorado (and I
highly recommend it), take a ride on the C&TS, and make sure you ride
east out of Chama. In addition to enjoying the sounds and smells of
(typically) doubleheaded 2-8-2 steamers going up 10+ miles of 4% grade
at the beginning of a 64 mile, all-day excursion, you can ride on ex EL
seats!!

For more info on the C&TS and the friends, visit:
http://www.cumbrestoltec.org

Rich Wisneski