(erielack) Freelance Layout

Brian, I was thinking about your layout dilemma last night while spiking
rail on my EL layout (which gives me plenty of time to think), and I have an
idea (which you may have already thought of yourself). The scenario is that
DL&W spun off the Sussex branch to create a new shortline, but retained
overhead rights to Andover Jct. This is somewhat similar to what BN did with
Montana Rail Link. DL&W  reassigns capital from a marginal low density line,
while maintaining a connection with L&HR. It gets to have it's cake and eat
it, and maybe you could too. You could include the entire Old Main also. And
you can run Lackawanna equipment. Just a thought.

Paul B

Thanks to all the responses I recieved both on and off list regarding my
questions about a freelanced model railroad scenario involving the Sussex
Branch and Old Main of the DL&W...every respondent basically said the same
thing: the L&HR interchange at Andover Jct was far too valuable for the
Lackawanna to part with the Sussex and the Old Main was a good back-up route
for the Cut Off and traffic was still pretty good (coughPBurgercough) so the
layout plan wasn't solid...basically, you said what I didn't want to admit:
I either model the Sussex/Old Main faithfully or create a new line...I'd
like to create a new road, but NW Jersey is already cluttered with the
Lackwanna, Susquehanna, Lehigh & New England, Lehigh & Hudson River...I'm
going to have to ponder this a bit more...