Re: (erielack) EL car weights and covered hoppers

In a message dated 8/15/2005 2:39:01 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
paultup_@_lucent.com writes:

PAUL

Hello  all,

In doing some research for decals, I've noticed  something interesting: Cars
that are labeled as "70 ton" in the diagram book  were stencilled with "CAPY
140000" in the early years of the EL (note car  18504 in this George Elwood
shot:  http://www.rr-fallenflags.org/el/frt/18504.jpg)

But at  some point, it looks like the cars' capacities increased (and their
respective  loaded weights) - by 1965, it looks like previously-stencilled
70-ton cars  were being lettered with "CAPY 154000."  Huh? When did these 70 ton
cars  become 77-ton cars? What caused the increase? New trucks? Reinforcement
during  rebuilding?  Note that this seems to be common among all EL 70-ton
covered hoppers (not just the former DL&W 1790s)

JUST GUESSING,  HIGHER CAPACITY TRUCKS WITH LARGER JOURNALS.

Truth be told, a lot of the older DL&W 1790s  also had a decrease in their
CAPY (to either 100000 or 110000) - this, I would  assume, would be due to
advanced age?
THAT WOULD BE LOGICAL.

While I'm on the topic of EL 2-bay covered  hoppers, why were some cars'
hatches replaced? Many cars in the 21000, 21100,  and 21200-series appeared to
have new roofs and hatches applied - the new  roofs had its end hatches spaced
further out, and all hatches became circular  rather than square. Was this to
facilitate easier loading? Were hatches  rusting out?

DON'T KNOW.

BOB