RE: (erielack) politeness, was: DAYTON HILL.

> It is people like Jerry that we should be making efforts to
> listen to. His knowledge supercedes any
> grammatical/typographical errors. Commenting on items like
> that is just being far too picky and ungrateful. This man
> knows more about these pieces of track than most of us ever
> will. We should be thankful he chooses to share this with us.
> I never saw the Erie or EL operate as I was born in 1978 in
> eastern PA. This section of the Erie/EL/WNYP fascinates me
> and I am glad to be able to learn about it. I'm sure there is
> at least one other person here who shares my sentiments.

Here are my personal observations, after moderating this list for almost a decade (has it been that long already?!?)

There are many people who are on this list who follow standard "netiquette" - correct capitalization, punctuation, etc. And that's fine. There are also many who don't. This does not dimininish their message! Many people are comfortable typing in ALL UPPERCASE or with abbreviations.

I've met some of the people that do this, and they're perfectly normal, intelligent individuals. The late Harry Scholz, who used to be an active participant on this list, always typed in uppercase. But Harry, for those of you who knew or met him, was a virtual fountain of information and details. Another example of "don't judge a person by his typing style." The Internet is just a communication medium - you shouldn't read a person's personality into how they choose to communicate.

In closing: Be nice. We're all one big family here, and everyone has something to contribute of value.