From: Josh Weis [mailto:nhlives_@_bestweb.net]
Sent: Thursday, August 11, 2005 4:07 PM
To: njnyrr_@_optonline.net
Subject: Piermont Branch

Dear Mr. Mike Sheehy,

I was searching the web for info on the Piermon Branch, specifically
what is left today, Dykes Lumber, etc...  The most informative thing I
came up with was a post you wrote on Railfan.net.

My name is Josh Weis, from Ossining, NY (NYC Hudson Line MP 31.0).  I
run a list called "HudsonRiverRailLines" on YahooGroups.  We have on
several occasions had discussions about the Piermont and never have come
to any real decisive conclusions about it.  Anyways:

I have numerous times found my self in Rockland and wondered about the
branch, especially with the things I have heard from MN about the
thing.  They purchased the line a few years ago to "protect" it, didn't
they.

Anyway, please help me out and provide me what info you can on it.

I am trying to find out:

1 - How many customers are there between Suffern and SV (if any other
than Dykes in Tallman).

2 - How often do said customers (including dykes) get served, and by
which job?  Also: When do they get served?

3 - What kind of shape is the ROW in between SF and Dykes?

4 - What kind of shape is the ROW in between Dykes and Woodbine?

5 - Does the connection still exist between the Piermont and the PVL in
Spring Valley, and if so where is it?

Thank you VERY much for your time and knowledge!

I can be reached at 914-497-8837 (cell phone) if it would help to talk
instead of email.

- --Josh Weis
- ---Moderator
- ----HudsonRiverRailLines

>Thanks for your email.  I will try and answer a few questions, and with
your
>OK, also post this to a fairly active Erie Lackawanna list that I read.
>
>1 - How many customers are there between Suffern and SV (if any other
>than Dykes in Tallman).
>
>As far as I know, the only thing still active is Dykes.  In the recent
past,
>Avon and Plaza Materials (quarry) received service, but Plaza is dormant
and
>Avon no longer receives rail shipments.
>
>2 - How often do said customers (including dykes) get served, and by
>which job?  Also: When do they get served?
>
>This might be answered better by another list member, since some actually
>have an active involvement in rail operations.  From what I know, maybe
once
>or twice a week, in the afternoon (what I saw)
>
>3 - What kind of shape is the ROW in between SF and Dykes?
>The ties are pretty bad, but it's still active with  a major grade
crossing
>at Airmont Rd.  I'd say the train was maybe restricted to 5 mph.
>
>4 - What kind of shape is the ROW in between Dykes and Woodbine?
>Extremely poor, though officially intact.  Some people have illegitimately
>encroached on it, dumping garbage, etc, paving by the ROW, and some is
>overgrown with weeds and trees abutting the rails. Also, where the RR
passes
>under NY 59, the rails are ripped up for a bridge replacement project over
>the ROW, but they can be replaced.
>
>5 - Does the connection still exist between the Piermont and the PVL in
>Spring Valley, and if so where is it?
>
>The actual Piermont Branch/NJNY connection is still there and serves as a
>siding- sometimes NJT MOW equipment is stored there.
>
>And remember, there is a section of the Piermont Branch between Nanuet and
>Spring Valley that sees several passenger trains a day, 5 days a week.
East