(erielack) Signals

Comments on several points that have been raised:

I have seen references to a 1.8 mile standard, based on freight and passenger
train stopping distances in the 1920s and '30s.  There were many variations
due to curvature, sight distance, and so on.

This standard (really more of a guideline) then fell apart over the years.
During the signal era the desired freight train length grew from 100 to 150
cars, braking technology improved, some sidings were lengthened, some sidings
were retired, and so on.  Often the pre-existing blocks were rearranged in the
least expensive manner consistent with safety, resulting in some unusual
situations like having two eastward signals in a block having only one westward
signal.  These changes accelerated with the retirement of many sidings during the
1960s and '70s.

Many of the Erie Railroad color light signals were installed in the 1920s and
1930s, and may have replaced earlier signals about which little information
exists other than cryptic references on the valuation maps.  On the Allegany
Division, for instance, the old main line had featured a system of closely
spaced block towers since 1893.  Most of the towers were retired after the River
Line opened in 1910.  I believe I have seen references to signals (probably
lower quadrant semaphores) that were then installed on the old main line.  In 1926
or so, CB Junction to Salamanca got the US&S triangular pattern color light
signals that started this discussion.  In 1930, the old main line got US&S
color light signals of the "traffic light" type, and this is probably when the
Absolute Permissive Block (APB) system was adopted on this line.  In 1942 the
River Line finally got automatic block signals  supplementing block towers at
River Junction, Fillmore, Belfast, and CB Junction.  They were of the US&S
searchlight type, which it appears that the Erie and many other railroads had
adopted as a standard for new installations due to its superior visibility at long
distances.  The system was upgraded to TCS in 1945, resulting in the closure of
the Fillmore and Belfast towers.

The strategy we can infer is that CB to Salamanca, which had the heaviest
traffic, got signals first, then the old main line (for passenger safety), and
finally the hard-working but freight-only River Line.

The 1930 and 1942-45 installations were of standard designs promulgated by
the joint C&O, Erie, NYC&StL, PM Advisory Committee on Way and Structures.

Regarding signal numbering, my understanding is that:

Signal 277-1 would be the first westward signal between MP 277 and 278.
Signal 277-2 would be the first eastward signal.
Signal 277-1B would be the second westward signal between MP 277 and 278.
Signal 277-2B would be the second eastward signal.

Conrail substituted the PRR (?) system, using 277E and 277W.  I don't know
what they did if they had a second signal in the same mile.

While we're on the subject of PRR vs. Erie usages, it appears to me that the
Erie had no system at all for designating what we would now call a controlled
point.  Interlockings were often just shown as a station (Waterboro, for
instance).  There was also no consistency in distinguishing junctions from other
interlockings.  PRR, conversely, had a system which, it appears, largely served
as the basis for Conrail's useful conventions for naming these things.

Erie signal numbering continued westward past Salamanca using Jersey City
based mileages.  For instance, westward signal 444-1 on the east side of
Jamestown was located just east of MP S 32 (31 miles from the Main Street underpass at
Salamanca, which was MP JC 412.60).  Offhand, I do not recall what they did
on the Graham Line, the River Line, or the Columbus & Erie, all of which were
longer than the original main lines they supplanted.

The old US&S round color light signals should not be confused with the
Safetran equipment that Conrail installed.

WDB