RE: Re:Re: (erielack) NY Harbor

Chuck, Jim hasn't (so far) commented, but according to _The Port of New York_, by Carl Condit - one
of the best books I ever read - the DL&W seriously considered building THEIR OWN tunnel into
Manhattan.  This was early in the last century, at which point, the DL&W was making more money than
it really knew what to do with. The bridge idea was mostly either a) technically infeasible at that
time, and/or b) nixed by the defense department since the bridge, if it fell due to enemy action,
would present a hazard to navigation.

_The Port of New York_, Condit's book, is an amazing history as it ties together laterally many
contemporaneous threads of historical narrative.  It's not >just< about railroads, or shipping, or
air travel, it's all those at once combined with politics, social developments, economic history and
more.  VERY good reading.  It's out of print, I believe, and it commands very healthy prices on
resale.  Two volumes, BTW.

SGL