(erielack) Waldwick Sation Restoration

Allow me to add a few facts to this discussion about the status and
actions to restore the Walwick station.

The Station is a target of the Waldwick Historical Society but for
the past 5-6 years it has been part of an ongoing project negotiation
between the Borough and NJT. There was a plan by NJT to expand the
present commuter lot and restoring the building was a part of that.
We (the society) were told by the borough officials not to do
anything that would disturb that deal.

The tower became the first focus because it was going to be sold to a
private individual who was thought to be moving it to his private
property. That was 1999. After 3 years we had enough financing to
start work and so the restoration proceeded there first.

It now appears that the commuter lot project may not go forward
because of the limited success of the Ramsey station. Now that the
Society can see the light at the end of the tunnel on the tower we
will likely move on to the station to see if we can work on that. The
real reason to wait was the report that as part of the commuter lot
project a very large sum was to be spent on the station's
restoration. So no one wanted to pass on that "gift" from the state.
Sometime in the next year we will likely put out feelers to see what
the status of the station project is and move based on that input. We
expect to get support from the borough as we have with the tower,
actually more since the station is a more "glamorous" and visible
project.

If people are interested in the station restoration, please contact
the Waldwick Historical Society as we can use all the volunteers we
can get and want to present a single front to the borough and
Transit.

Curt Springstead