Re: (erielack) Odd signal

I can see the C&S guys point of view, but I'm sure that from an operations
point of view having the longer blocks was advantageous, although three
miles seems to be a bit excessive in length.

Chuck

                      "Tom Beckett"
                      <tabeckett_@_stny.rr.
                      com>                To:     <erielack_@_lists.railfan.net>
                      Sent by:            cc:
                      erielack-owner_@_list Subject:
                      s.elhts.org                 Re: (erielack) Odd signal

                      08/12/2005 02:32 PM
                      Please respond to
                      "Tom Beckett"

It's hard to tell at this point in history, as many of the original Erie
signals have been removed over the years, but it appears that the block
length was approximately a mile on the main line in the general area of
Binghamton-Elmira-Hornell, sometimes a little longer. I'm going by signals
knew existed, and some that there was evidence of-old concrete bases,
masts,
relay cases, etc, though I don't think the distances were uniform.

There presently are some long gaps. For example: 236-2, then 233-2, then
229-2, then 226-2, then 224-2, then 221-2, then 216-2, which is the distant

signal for JOHNSON, formerly WEST BD. The C&S guys were not especially
happy
when some of these blocks were lengthened. It makes looking for things like

broken bonds a long tedious process, especially in the winter.

Tom B