RE: (erielack) Erie Airslides

 Paul Brezicki wrote:

>Brian, I hate to rain on your parade again, but I believe the GATX
>airslides
>were leased for relatively brief periods by Erie and then EL, so I'm not
>sure they carried Erie/EL reporting marks (except in 1:48 scale). They
>were
>used primarily in flour service with traffic originating in Buffalo, and
>carrying food and non-food commodities in the same car was generally
>discouraged. (This info may be way off base.)

Photos of the Erie cars are somewhat hard to find, but it does look like they only ran for a short period of time.

I'm not sure if the Erie cars made it into EL, but the EL most definitely DID have single-bay Airslide cars in the 45000-series (just like the mystery P-S 3-bay covered hoppers with no EL lettering). If you look in Larry De Young's EL in color Volume 3, there's a photo of a train entering Taylor Yard with an Airslide bearing EL reporting marks right behind it. I also have a list of cars that went into CR, listing this series of Airslides (I believe they ended up on the D&H).

Also, the EL did have some sort of leasing arrangement with International Multifoods (again, a flour concern), since I also have a photo of an EL 45000-series car with EL reporting marks and large "INTERNATIONAL MULTIFOODS" lettering across the top of the car.