(erielack) LCL

Bob Reebie was A.E. Perlman's vice president planning and had a hand in
organizing the NYC's SuperVan trains.  For those who don't know these were early
container trains utilizing FlexiVan equipment and a retail marketing strategy
utilizing New York Central Motor Transport.

Reebie later founded RoadRailer.  I worked for him at that firm in the late
1970s and early '80s and pestered him whenever I had the chance about EL and
NYC.

NYC's very profitable SuperVan trains were the result of a 1959 Reebie study
for Perlman that concluded that LCL was hopelessly unprofitable and that the
correct strategy was to selectively market to the balanced traffic using a
superior technology.

Reebie's opinion, for what it as worth, was that Gary White was too attached
to the LCL business, reluctant to cut back the unproductive network of station
agents, etc.  Moreover, that EL at the highest levels did not understand the
importance of marketing for traffic balance and accordingly was only too happy
to take the imbalanced traffic left behind by NYC while hoping against hope
to find backhaul loads.

WDB