Re: (erielack) Tower ID Sign Specifications? & STATION INFO

My 2 cents...I don't think we should generalize on how to approach funding.
Some towns will bend over backwards to accommodate a historical group and
some are really bad news to deal with, with most somewhere in between.
Personally, if Waldwick really wants "in", why exclude them?  Unless
there's good reason to believe that they would want to completely control
the restoration, and dictate shocking pink, with purple trim, as the final
color, etc.  I think we've entered an era where many towns--although not
all (e.g. Rockaway, NJ)--are now finally beginning to realize the
importance of preserving their history, particularly railroad history.  As
a result, I think a partnership with the town not only broadens the
financial support available but also the political support.  Of course, if
there's reason to believe that dealing with Waldwick will be difficult and
that they may only contribute a small amount of cash, but a lot of grief,
then by all means keep the town out of the mix.  But barring that, I would
recommend working under the assumption that the help of the town will be a
good thing.  I recommend putting out feelers to see what kind of support
there is on the town committee/council and how the supporters there would
suggest navigating through this, and whether the town would be willing to
take over the lease from NJ Transit.  Depending on the reception, I think
you'll then know whether the town will be a good, bad or indifferent
partner in the venture.

Chuck

                      KSmollin_@_aol.com
                      Sent by:
                      erielack-owner_@_list To:     Dlw1el2@aol.com
                      s.elhts.org         cc:     erielack_@_lists.railfan.net
                                                  Re: (erielack) Tower ID Sign Specifications? & STATION INFO
                      08/10/2005 05:27 PM
                      Please respond to
                      KSmollin

In a message dated 8/10/2005 4:10:23 PM Central Daylight Time,