(erielack) Logos - and "What if?"

Henry,

There's no doubt that the EL logo was essentially the Erie logo with minor
modifications, which was more or less representative of the merger itself.
To a lesser extent, this is what happened in the Penn-Central merger.
Although, the big difference between the two mergers is that nearly 50% of
the DL&W's mainline was either downgraded or completely eliminated, whereas
NYC's stayed basically intact.  It's interesting to speculate in a "what
if" scenario that if DL&W had been able to merge with a more
compatible--and friendly--partner such as the Nickel Plate, a merger that
had it taken place would have probably been done back in the mid-1950s
rather than later.  It would also be interesting to speculate about what
would have happened to the Erie's trackage had the DL&W merged with the
NKP, and what would have survived, or not survived, into Conrail and
present times.  The railroad atlas would definitely look different today.

Chuck

                      "J. Henry Priebe
                      Jr."
                      <root_@_net.bluemoon. To:     Erie Lackawanna Mail List <erielack@lists.elhts.org>
                      net>                cc:
                      Sent by:            Subject:
                      erielack-owner_@_list         RE: (erielack) Logos
                      s.elhts.org

                      08/08/2005 05:11 PM
                      Please respond to
                      "J. Henry Priebe
                      Jr."

To view or download the image(s), click on or cut and paste the
following URL into your web browser:

http://lists.railfan.net/listthumb.cgi?erielack-08-08-05

Erie_FrtHouse_Akron_E.jpg (application/octet-stream, 1000x667 137316 bytes,
BF: 4.86 ppb)

On Sun, 7 Aug 2005, Schuyler Larrabee wrote:

> I'm a bit late getting in on this (been pretty busy) but first of all, I
think Dan Biernacki's
> analysis of the ERIE diamond is right on the mark . . So to speak, no pun
intended.

> It has a much longer history with the railroad than the 1920's as someone
speculated.  It's in paper
> items for the ERIE well back into the 1880's, and there's a school of
thought that it came
> originally from one of the earliest passenger cars, the (working from
memory here . . . ) the Moth's
> Patent Car.  The side was structured with a lattice of diagonal steel
bars, and the windows were
> diamond shaped openings between the bars.  The car's covered in the John
White book, American
> Railroad Passenger Cars, for those who want to look in to that.

Here's the Erie diamond on the still-standing Akron, OH freight house which
shot yesterday around noon. The E in the diamond certainly wasn't anything
new when the EL was formed. The logo is a testament to the Erie's
"takeover"
of the DL&W and the only contribution the Lackawanna made to the new logo
was
the color and two small missing sections of the "E!"

Henry

End of EL List Daily V3 #1737