Re:(erielack) LCL Traffic

Another factor was equipment utilization -- an NYC man of my acquaintance
had reason to observe Erie trains in the Corning-Elmira area for a year or
two c. 1950.  He noted to me that every 2nd day (maybe 3rd?) first EB then
WB he'd see the same high-class Erie boxcar carrying NY-Chgo LCL.  The
possibility of a 2000 mile round-trip (and under full or partial load each
way) every week for any piece of railroad equipment is pretty good,
considering intermediate loading, unloading, etc.
       The replacement for each box car was two or three trailers and one or
two TOFC flats, hardly a cost-effective trade-off based on equipment
consideration only.
       I would opine that some of the problems with New York City access
shiould be laid at the grave of Robert Moses, the inveterate railroad hater
and promoter of the highway infrastructure that has so crippled New York
City today.
       It is sobering to note that LCL, which the railroads said couldn't be
profitable, is the basis for the most profitable trucking companies today.
On a related basis we let REA Express fade away as unprofitable while an
outfit called UPS didn't read the railroad playbook.  Just some thoughts.  M
J Connor