(erielack) LCL Traffic

I have some questions about LCL for Jim and the group, but first a little
background.

In the 1950's, RR's began shifting this unprofitable traffic to third
parties, ie the freight forwarders and consolidators, who had less costly
labor arrangements. These included companies like Acme and Clipper; Erie and
then EL used Lifschultz Fast Freight and Clipper Carloading (and possibly
others). In the 1960's this traffic largely shifted from boxcars to TOFC. By
the 1970's EL was one of very few roads that still handled LCL in boxcars.

Here are my questions concerning this traffic in the 1970's:

1. Were other cities served besides NY and Chicago?
2. Was there an LCL station on the Jersey side, and if so, where?
    (Perhaps Pavonia?)
3. Westbound traffic was handled by NY-99; photos generally show a
    headend block of forwarder boxcars. Eastbound traffic supposedly
    went on NY-100; why do you not see these boxcars on photos of this
train?
    (handled on the rear, perhaps?)
4. Finally, why did EL continue to handle some LCL this way long after other
    roads had shifted to TOFC?

Paul Brezicki