RE: (erielack) A new set of EL questions

As far as "other" NY-Chicago grades, I would think thee PRR over Horseshoe curve would at least rate an honorable mention.......

Bob Dobrowolski

Charles_Walsh_@_Berlex.com wrote:

Ed,

Well, DL&W had two pusher districts eastbound (Dansville Hill and eastbound
out of Scranton) and two westbound (west out of Water Gap and west out of
Scranton) each of which, of course, would be even more punishing on the way
downgrade. Maybe it's out of context, but looking at some of the sawtooth
profiles in the mountain railroads issue of TRAINS (sometime last year, I
believe), DL&W may have had it worse than any other NY-Chicago route (with
Erie a close second), but I would think that N&W or C&O must rank up there
too.

Chuck

"Montgomery, Edward
T"

fcps.edu> "EL Mailing List"
Sent by: cc:
erielack-owner_@_list Subject:
s.elhts.org RE: (erielack) A new set of EL questions

08/04/2005 01:21 PM
Please respond to
"Montgomery, Edward
T"

I read in TRAINS some years ago that the Lackawanna had more ups and
downs than any other railroad in the United States. Most of the grades
were probably between Stroudsburg and Nicholson, not forgetting the
Dansville area. Grades were so bad that EMD was troubleshooting
problems with the E8s cracking their axles from overheating due to
excessive braking on the hills. They didn't have dynamic brakes.

Ed Montgomery